Friday 15 June 2012

Beyond the end

My plan was to stop writing the blog when I reached Santiago, but today is wet and I am on my own so here is the bonus entry. I am still figuring out the end of this journey. It probably won´t come together fully for a long time yet. The arrival here was amazing but also rather sad as we greeted new friends and said good bye. Jenny, Jane, Holly and I got the bus to Finisterre. the drive was a bit crazy as the roads were very twisty. I was surprised at how big Finisterre was but somehow it didn´t speak to me. We did all the things we wanted to do. We walked to the lighthouse, sat on the roacks and meditated but when it came to burning our stuff, there was nowhere to do it. I ceremoniously left my hat in a garbage can - it was drenched in olive oil from our octopus experience. Had good food but didn´t stay up for the sunset. Nexyt morning Holly and I attempeted to get a bus to Muxia. The first one we went for only ran on Sundays! WE waited but to no avail. we went for the next bus which stopped to pick us up. the driver opened the storage for us to put our bags in but when we came to get on the bus he said, "no, no, no!" We had to quyickly grab our bags before he closed up and took off for Santiago. We have no idea why - just one of those unexplained mysteries. We ended up getting a Taxi which only cost us €16 but was well worth it. With the help of the taxi driver we found a small but nice hotel, left our packs and went exploring. Bought lunch at the Supermercado and took it to the rocks by the church. It was so nice - quiet and peaceful unlike Finisterre. sat for ages listening to the sound of the ocean, looking out to the distance and just thinking of all we have done. It´s been quite a journey. No one can do the Camino without some changes to their lives. How these will pan our when we get home, God only knows at this point. We went to Mass at the local church but it was very routine. The priest was done in 17 minutes (holly timed it) and it felt rather flat. We have had a full range of Mass experiences, some have been touching, others rather cold. Got the bus back to Santiago yesterday and have a hotel room for 2 nights. Yesterday I just wandered, did some shopping but went back to my room early because I was tired! Today I´ve been back to the Cathedral and just wandered round. I stayed for Mass and they swung the Censor again. This time I was right underneath it - what an awesome experience. It was flying and smoking like crazy. today there was some translation of the mass into English and it had a very special feeling. Sat with some Americans who had just come in they were tired. Brought back feelings of last Sunday. Tomorrow I head for Madrid on the train. sunday in Madrid and then home on Monday. Iam looking forward to seeing you all agian. It´s been an amazing Camino experience. Blessings Daphne

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the regular updates. I enjoyed reading them and getting a feel for your adventure! Blessings to you as you continue reflecting on this experience. Stan

    ReplyDelete