Wednesday 6 June 2012

Portomarin

A shorter day today and we´ve broken 100km!! Last night´s albergue was a challenge a couple of people checked in and a few minutes later checked out! Actually it was not the one we thought we were at but it was where we ended up. The shower situation was a challenge as there was no place to take off clothes behind a curtain, so it was strip down and jump in the shower before the next man came in. Thanks to Jane for policing the situation! The laundry facilities were not clean- moss in the dirty sink with bugs crawling round. I managed to wash 2 itmes of clothing without anything touching the sink! Apparently the snoring during the night was like a symphony. I am particularly thankful for 2 things on this trip: first happy feet. Even after 700km they are serving me well, no blisters and only minor irritations which have quickly resolved themselves. The second is ear plugs and good sleep. I have to admit I was not sure how I would do sleeping a huge rooms with a cacophony of nightime snorers but with the assistance of ear plugs I have slept amazingly well. All is good! Today´s walk was beautiful. Now we are in Galicia the scenery is very lush. We haven´t had rain that has affected our walking. It rained last during the evening and the air is damp but the cooler temps make for easier days. We left at 6:30am and found coffee after about 8km. We were approaching Portomarin and I was feeling very hungry but determined not to complain (I appear to have a reputation as the one who needs\wants food) We had gone less than 50m when there was a table at the side of the trail with fruit, cookies and drinks to buy. Another amazing Camino moment. I love those God given times, those special moments when we are given, not necessarily what we want but we get what we need. Arrived in Portomarin shortly after noon. Did the usual shower, laundry etc. and went in search of lunch. Had Empinada with meat - kind of like a huge pizza pop cut in slices. It was good. Now we are ready for a siesta. Thinking of you all, especially Ellia, Declan, Brynn and Nigel. Aly and Zach - Hope the renos are still on track. We hope to be in Santiago on Sunday, take part in the pilgrim Mass on Monday and then take the bus to Finisterre. It´s hard to believe that our journey is coming to an end. It will be a different life when I no longer live out of a back pack and have to think of other things except walking, eating and sleeping. Blessings Daphne

1 comment:

  1. Hi Daphne and Sharon,

    I can't figure out how to post a message on Sharon's blog so I'm asking you to share this with her. I am keeping you in my prayers and willing you wings for your feet and a lightness of your pack as you both near the end of an amazing journey. Missing you and looking forward to your homecoming.

    Louise

    ReplyDelete